New Zealand Newcomers Network Initiative (part of The Federation of Multicultural Councils of NZ Inc.) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
WHO DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM
We collect personal information about you:
- When you provide that personal information to us, including via this website and any related service, through our ‘join us’ or ‘email us’ process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email).
- When you visit this website we collect anonymous information such as your IP address or domain name to analyze site traffic for “visits” but this information is not tied to a given user’s personal information. This information is collected and stored via Google Analytics.
- When you make a donation on our website certain types of sensitive information, such as financial information, may be collected. We do not receive or retain copies of this information on our server. We redirect visitors to a secure server to complete these transactions and all data is both collected and stored by these processors. The current online payment service in use is maintained by Give a Little.
- Third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to provide services and products to you
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at [email protected]rs.co.nz. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
An internet “cookie” is a small piece of code which is placed on the your local computer when you visit our website. This helps us learn which areas of the website are useful to you and most used by our visitors.
You can choose whether to accept cookies by changing the settings within your browser. If you disable cookies by changing the settings on your browser, this may mean that you cannot use all of the features of the website.